Subject: Re: kernel vs boot-program
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/1994 18:03:49
Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> > discussion. I really don't like having to have this mechanism. I really would
> > like to have an entry in /etc/fstab like
> >
> > mother:/export/son/.paging_space	none	swap 	sw 0 0
> >
> > And let a "swapon -a" do the work. Until this time just don't page.
>
> except that *that* does ugly things if you'd like to keep a
> mostly-common root parititon.

This is one of a number of cases where AFS-style path component
substitutions come in handy...  simply say:

mother:/export/son/swap-@host   none    swap    sw 0 0

and each host gets it's own swap-myhost.do.main file.

I have code that I developed with brezak to implements this for ufs/mfs
and isofs, but currently not nfs which is where it's most desirable.
Adding it to nfs is going to be a bitch due to all gotos hidden in
macros, etc :-(.  [I'm currently having enough problems with nfs on a
vanilla -current system as it is, so I don't want to go breaking it any
more than it already is...]

If anyone wants to take the patches and add nfs support, send me mail
and I'd be more than happy send you what I have so far.

--
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
tsarna@endicor.com        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."