Subject: Re: NFS diskless boot improvement
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: Adam Glass <glass@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/1994 13:09:21

> My architecture is more like the first of these two. Actually, I don't think
> that the net-2 implementation did support the filling of the nfsdiskless
> structure by the bootstrap program. Do you have other info?

it supported it, but nothing was ever distributed that used it.  It
sounded though like Macklem had something that did...

> > some notes:
> > 	kernel rpc implementation is tiny, and currently pretty
> > 		stupid.  would need re-work if to be used for lock
> > 		manager (ala sun) stuff.
>
> As far as I know, the lock manager stuff doesn't to any rpc stuff in the
> kernel. It's all user level code, which does locking on behalf of the remote
> client (with some extension to the locking system call).
>
> --
> ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) +49-228-985800

implementation choice.  sun does do at least some of lock manager
stuff via kernel rpc, though this may only be to talk to the local
lock manager.  i'm not fond of this implemntation either...

later,
Adam