Subject: Re: kernel vs boot-program
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Adam Glass <glass@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/1994 11:04:14
> > i' just got finished adding the bootparam code to your stuff.  Also
> > added some reverse arp support.
>
> Oh.  I guess I'm too late to try to instigate a discussion.
> I look forward to having the new functionality.

Not true.  discussion useful.  I'm still not entirely sure its the
right thing to do.  and it certainly  isn't in the tree yet.

> One question though:
> Will I still be able to boot diskless without any bootpararmd server?
> I'd rather not have to port bootparamd to my SysVr4 server.
>
> Gordon

well you can implement nfs_boot() also using a kernelized client
bootp, but i haven't done that and figured someone else would.

the idea would be that nfs_mountroot() doesn't care about hte
protocols used.

nfs_boot() would have n-supported pprotocols: bootparam, bootp, ?*

later,
Adam