Subject: Re: Making UFS optional
To: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
From: Jan-Simon Pendry <jsp@sequent.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/05/1994 13:21:10
	Actually, I want to tell everyone and remind Chris of a problem we
	ran into with libkern.

	Chris wrote an LKM which he loaded into the kernel. It needed
	strncpy, but strncpy is in libkern. Hence strncpy wasn't there,
	and the LKM load failed.

	This points out a rather silly problem with having these functions
	be in libkern.. any thoughts from anyone?

the problem here is quite simple to resolve, at least in
principle.  if you are allowing lkms, then you need to
define the kernel programming environment which is supplied
to your lkm.  this is a *must* do, not a nice to have.
if you define strncpy as being available, then it *must* be
available.  if you don't *define* it as being available, then
you must not rely on it, and you must implement it locally
in each lkm which needs it.

simple, or what!

jan-simon.

ps.
why are you using strncpy in the kernel???