Subject: Making UFS optional
To: None <tech-kern@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/03/1994 20:48:23
In an attempt to stir up some more user complaints of the type "my kernel
doesn't build any more" :-), I'm going to make ufs (more or less) optional.

This means, moving quite some code out of the ufs directory.

There are parts in there that obviously have to go into the vfs code and
thus are moved into the kern directory.

Then there are the iftovt_tab & vttoif_tab tables, that are used (due to
semantic extension of the nfs protocol) by nfs, too. This will go into a
separate file in the ufs directory and be made optional on ufs or nfsserver.

And then there is the file ufs_disksubr.c, which hasn't anything to do with
ufs at all. It contains code that is used by most (if not all) disk drivers.
I'm not sure where to place this file.

Should it go into the kern directory and made optional on all the disk drivers
(needs inclusion of this file in all the machine dependent files.xxx
configuration files and editing this files in non-obvious places, when a new
driver is added), made standard (superfluous inclusion of code for diskless
machines) or placed into libkern (my preference, but up until now libkern
only includes routines that (re-)implement things that are also available
in user mode.

Any ideas?
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) +49-228-985800