Subject: Who allocates syscall numbers?
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/1994 16:12:10
I hope this is the right place to ask this...

Who allocates syscall numbers?  Or is it just first come first served?
I need to define a syscall for the vm86 system call, at the moment I
have just chosen one that is after all the other system calls (number
210), do I have to do anything to make this "official" ?

"Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes
and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum
tubes and perhaps weigh 1 1/2 tons."
                -- Popular Mechanics, March 1949