Subject: swap_pager errors
To: None <tech-kern@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@mulga.awadi.com.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/1994 10:33:16
I am being severely annoyed by thousands of these messages:

Jan  4 21:03:50 siren /netbsd: sd0: illegal request
Jan  4 21:03:50 siren /netbsd:  error 22 blkno 65584 sz 4096 swap_pager_finish: clean of page 9e6000 failed

annoyed enough to start tracking down why they occur.  I found where
the error message comes from (swap_pager.c) and then ran around in
circles trying to find the call that actually attempts to write the
page back to disk.  I cannot see how this is done, it looks to me like
there is a pointer to a function that is the objects write method but
I could not see how this was setup.  Pointers to the correct FC to R
would be appreciated.

BTW Is it my imagination or are all the blocks numbers that fail
greater than the magic 65535 number?  They are in my case, this has me
looking for a possible short -> long cast causing the problem...

ABTW Yeah I know it's a bug, I reported it as such a while ago but
noone volunteered to fix it for me ;-)

"Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes
and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum
tubes and perhaps weigh 1 1/2 tons."
                -- Popular Mechanics, March 1949