Subject: "here we go again"... another push for /sys subdir... 8-)
To: None <tech-kern@sun-lamp.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/17/1993 06:01:07
no, i'm not going to ask for /sys/dev again, though if you'd like
to let me have it, i wouldn't complain.

This time i'm asking (again) for /sys/compat, or a similar-named
beast.

why?

well, we're getting a slowly-growing number of "compatibility
switches" in /sys/kern, or in the ports themselves.

i'm not going to count hpux compat stuff (though it should count; it
*could* run on multiple architectures) nor ultrix compat stuff,
but right now we've got:
	sunos compat stuff, being used by the sparc and the amiga
		(seperate copies in each tree!  eek!  hopefully
		the mac and sun3 will use this code soon, too)
	sysv compat stuff (semaphores, shared mem, message queues)

the former *definitely* belongs in a 'common' area (and the first
person who suggest /sys/sunos eats lead...  8-).  The latter doesn't
really belong in /sys/kern, in my opinion.

we're going to need a '/sys/compat' or a similarly-named beast
sometime in the near future (esp. as more m68k ports come up to
full speed...)...

thoughts?

chris