Re: Suggestion for boot message on install media

On Fri, Aug 07, 2020 at 08:26:03AM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
> I suggest that the install media indicate clearly if booting from
> BIOS or UEFI as the "real" bootblocks do so that this information is
> available immediately during installation and it is clear what type of
> system will be installed.

I have trouble coming up with a way to display the information so that
it is prominent enough but not confusing to the majority of people
who should not need to care. However, I could imagine a x86 specific
warning if BIOS had been used to boot, like:

	It seems your system booted via the legacy BIOS method,
	so sysinst will prepare the installed system for BIOS booting
	as well.

	If this is not what you intended, please abort, reboot,
	and fix your firmware setup before trying again.

... and say nothing if we got booted by UEFI.

>  It might even be better to allow an option
> for selecting the type of installation independent of how booting
> occurred, but this might lead to unbeatable systems I suppose.

This indeed is a dangerous option, but we could mark it as that.
It would ease testing of sysinst ;-)

Martin