Re: [Feature Request] UUID in fstab.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 06:04:01AM +0530, Utkarsh Anand wrote:
> 30.03.2018, 00:16, "Martin Husemann" <martin%duskware.de@localhost>:
> > Which UUID?
> While most of the modern systems are already using it, you don't even
> know about it. Here's a link:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier

Dear Utkarsh,

would you please stop assuming you are more clever than anyone in the
universe and try to think about a question before answering with
the obvious but non relevant?

Please try again. I did not ask: "what is a UUID", but instead I asked
"which UUID". And if you start to think about it, you will notice that
the answer may be more commplex than what you assume.

> It'd be nice if you could leave your obsession for man command and re-read the
> email. I'm asking for using it by default (i.e. on newly installed systems).

No, you did not. You may have meant to ask that, but you did not.

Now to answer *that* question:

 - the answer is machine dependent, and the solution you apparently had
   in mind only works for disks partitioned with GPT.

 - the support for GPT in sysinst is .. suboptimal, currently.

 - we can use the NAME= support in /etc/fstab for gpt partitioned disks
   once the GPT sysinst code has been cleaned up

Martin