Re: Installing on a read only file system

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:49:46 +0200
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
>   MAKEOBJDIR can be provided only in the environment or via the -O
> flag of build.sh; it cannot usefully be set inside a Makefile,
> including mk.conf or ${MAKECONF}.

Thanks.  I added "-M /usr/obj" to building the tools and a GENERIC
kernel and that worked fine.  However, I still have a problem building
distribution:

(cd /usr/src/sys/rump/librump/rumpkern && rm -f vers.c version
librump.o librump.po librump.so.0.map   a.out [Ee]rrs mklog core *.core
machine x86_64 amd64 x86 i386 || true) rm: machine: Read-only file
system rm: amd64: Read-only file system rm: x86: Read-only file system
rm: i386: Read-only file system
Failed to remove the following files
from /usr/src/sys/rump/librump/rumpkern: amd64
        i386
        machine
        x86

I fixed this.  For future searches I will explain what I did.

The read only directories, /usr/src and /usr/pkgsrc, are null mounts
over a regular RW directory /usr/NetBSD/cvs/...  The purpose is to
allow a guaranteed cleanup by doing "rm -rf /usr/obj/*".  However, I
used to just run builds in the RW directory.  This left a few files
behind that interfere.  I thought that I had found them all but missed
some.  The easiest way to find those if you, like me, use a regular
user to CVS update but build as root is to run this at the top level:

 $ find . -user root

You can pipe that to xargs to clean up the tree.  If you aren't sure
you can follow that with a cvs update to restore any files deleted
accidentally.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost