Re: sysinst with Lua support

On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 05:25:06PM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> Maybe leave sysinst untouched and start a new program (based on sysinst)
> in /usr/sbin (NetInstall?), then switch those ports that can handle it
> over to the new installer?  Not really what I had in mind, and not
> really ideal as well, since then the two will diverge and ports using
> the "old" sysinst will eventually be left behind.

I have to say I don't like the sysinst codebase a lot. But for most common
paths, sysinst in the end is realy great. And I'm used to the wrokflow
when debugging it (which is very simple).

Now if we start to move this hairy, ifdef-rich but easily debuggable code
over to Lua scripts, I feel that debugging will be a lot more painfull.
While Lua provides lots of hooks, we have no proper shrink wrapped tool
in base up to the task. I don't know if there is anything in pkgsrc.

So, all this together, I would agree with you but suggest a dual aproach:

 - Slightly minimalize your existing patch, add proper USE_LUA knobs
   everywhere needed and only include Lua support on a few archs/
   media where size does not matter. This version should be enough to
   add custom installs and tuning in lua.

 - Start on a copy of sysinst sources with all UI stripped out (check the
   old GSoC results to turn it into a lib), and add new Lua frontends to
   it. This will not be realy straigh forward, but as soon as we see a
   complete version for one or two arches, we may find it easier to adapt
   for other arches and also see the overall space requirements.

We can then switch as we like, on a per port or even port/medium selection -
or start over and do it again in JavaScript ;-}

Martin