A NetBSD system installer with Lua scripting, i18n

NetBSD- and Lua-Users

I am working on NetBSD system installer extentions for sysinst that allows
sysinst to be scripted in Lua.  The basic idea is that an installation script
can be shipped with the install media (or put on a netinstall server) that
drives the installation process (or parts thereof).  If no such script is
present, the standard way of the installation procedure will run.  A sample
script I wrote, e.g. can install and configure pkgsrc packages during the
install procedure.

It has been particularly "difficult" to deal with sysinst's i18n system, for
example message strings would need a space at the end if the message is
continued on the next line.

An earlier version of my sysinst changes used i18n written in C, but I think it
could better be done entirely in Lua.  I am solicitating comments and ideas on
this.

Attached are three files (not very elaborate code, just meant as proof of
concept): i18n.lua, a "library" that translates messages, and i18n.de, i18n.fr
two sample message catalogs for german and french.

So far it can translate messages and change the order of parameters.  Is that
enough?

- Marc Balmer