tech-install archive

Re: Anyone working on an automated install?

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:17:29AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Aleksej Saushev <> writes:
> > Josh Branning <> writes:
> >
> >> I am aware this has been asked several times already, but it really
> >> would be nice to have some way of automating the installation for NetBSD.
> >>
> >> If anyone is working on this, please let me know.
> >
> > NetBSD installation process is straightforward, it is trivial to script it.
> If you mean with expect, it's not, if you have a lot of machines and
> don't have consoles wired up.  If you mean that it shouldn't take much
> coding time to make sysinst take a control file, I agree.

Aleksej may have meant that to write a script that sets up a disk using
fdisk(8), disklabel(8), makefs(8), extracts sets with pax(1), runs
etcupdate(8) to complete some essential installation steps, modifies
some configuration files (e.g, sets rc_configured=YES in /etc/rc.conf)
and runs installboot(8) to configure the bootloader, is trivial.

I wouldn't call it trivial, but it's definitely possible.

David Young    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981