sysinst split project

Hello tech-install@ and Tim Rightnour,

I was looking for the Google Summer of Code NetBSD projects ideas some
days ago when I saw the sysinst split project here:

http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/soc-projects.html#sysinst_split

Once of the problems I'd had with NetBSD was making its installation
more automatized than it is nowadays, so I thought about working on this
project. I previously had an idea to make a different install tool and,
at work, I already replaced sysinst by a shell script, when we needed an
automatic NetBSD installation for a given equipment.

There is a problem, though, that, since I have a full time job, and I
study at the university at night, I can't submit this project to work on
Google Summer of Code, which requires, IIRC, full time working on the
project. I can't have too much time during the weekdays, but I do have
on the weekend. I can propose a schedule for it.

So, my question is, is it possible for me to work on this and, would I
get reasonable support for you?

Things I have already done:

- Studied sysinst source code;
- Understood the menu generation with menuc;
- Listed important functions (in do_install() function) that are
  candidates to go to the backend process, after likely heavy
  modification;
- Basic specification of a configuration install file for the backend
  utility.

I'm making a diary about my progress, that I can show you.

Since I want to start by the backend utility, my next step would be read
something about parsing techniques to implement the configuration file
reading module. I started reading the Dragon Book (but maybe it is too
much for a simple parsing like that) and I would like to implement the
configuration file parsing using Lex & Yacc, if possible, but need to
study these first.

So, I need to know if there is some interest about providing reasonable
support (I promise not bother you too much :-]) for me, in this project,
and if there is interest developing it out of Google SoC.

About me:
- NetBSD user for three years. Unix user for five years.
- Made two small contributions:
    - Found a bug in libc, but provided no patch:
      http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2008/11/16/msg001415.html
    - Found a bug in documentation, with provided patch:
      http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-docs/2009/05/28/msg000104.html
- Build my own NetBSD system, including personal kernel.
- Eventually -current tester.
- Good C/C++ programmer.
- Familiar with NetBSD install process and sysinst code.
- Familiar with NetBSD coding standards.
- Want know something more specific?

Thank you very much.

--
Silas Silva