Subject: Re: etcupdate and postinstall: make "-s src" compulsory
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/20/2007 17:20:22
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Sverre Froyen wrote:
> Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com> suggests
> > So, I'd like to make it an error to run postinstall or etcupdate without
> > giving a "-s" arg.  People can still use "-s /usr/src" to get the
> > existing (IMHO broken) behaviour.
>
> I have no problem with requiring the -s arg.  I would, however, like to be
> able to run etcupdate after a "build distribution", i.e., without the extra
> step of "build sets".  This would require solving the etc make issue.

If you mean really and truly solving the etc make issue, then I think
that's unrealistic.  How can etcupdate possibly know what args passed to
build.sh might have affected the contents of certain files?

If you mean simply making the problem no worse than usual, by solving the
most obvious current issue with atf-run.hooks, then I am in the process
of trying to do that.  I only realised today that there was a problem.

> On a slightly similar note, I think it would be nice if etcupdate
> had an option to completely ignore files where a locally modified
> installed version had the same RCS version as the distribution
> version.

This sounds like the etcupdate "-l" option.

--apb (Alan Barrett)