Subject: Re: /cdrom
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/06/2007 21:14:49
At 13:45 Uhr -0500 29.10.2007, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

[removable media]

>Any reason not to setup an amd config for these directories?  ("too much
>more complicated than /etc/fstab"?)

As a sample configuration for amd(8), that's a good idea.

But the amd specific requirements violate POLA too often for it to be
useful in the hands of the less savvy. There is no 'umount -f' equivalent
-- 'amq -u' is a mere recommendation to amd(8). umount(8)ing a device owned
by amd(8) will confuse it terminally. And depending on how the kernel maps
the media's partition table to a disklabel, you have to keep around several
entries for one type of media (like USB sticks).

At 13:46 Uhr +0200 27.10.2007, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>For something like /media or another more general scheme, I'd suggest to
>defer this discussion until we get something like a HAL/dbus
>infrastructure, and then think again on this whole thing.
>
>For now, I'd like to stick to the KISS principle.

Seconded.

	hauke