Subject: Re: /cdrom
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/27/2007 13:46:43
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>> This would contradict hier(7), and my proposal does not focus on that.
>
> Ah, ok. What about introducing /media according to the FHS, then?
> It says: "Historically there have been a number of other different places
> used to mount removeable media such as /cdrom, /mnt or /mnt/cdrom.
> Placing the mount points for all removeable media directly in the root
> directory would potentially result in a large number of extra
> directories in /."
> (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MEDIAMOUNTPOINT)

The current suggestion was modeled after Solaris, which we've used as a
role model in the past.

For something like /media or another more general scheme, I'd suggest to
defer this discussion until we get something like a HAL/dbus
infrastructure, and then think again on this whole thing.

For now, I'd like to stick to the KISS principle.

  - Hubert