Subject: Re: Adding RELEASEDIR/iso to release(7)
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 04/05/2007 21:54:31
On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 12:17:11PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> The new iso-image code recently committed by Manuel Bouyer builds small
> CD-ROM images in RELEASEDIR/MACHINE/install/cdrom/*, and large CD-ROM
> images in RELEASEDIR/iso/*.  The small images tend to be for exactly
> one platform, and contain a kernel, sysinst, some crunchgenned tools,
> but not *.tgz sets.  The large images contain *.tgz sets, and could in
> principle be multi-platform.
>
> releases(7) doesn't talk about RELEASEDIR/iso at all.  I'd like to
> update it, but first I'd like to understand the difference between the
> two locations.  Given a CD-ROM image, how would you determine which
> directory it belongs in, and how would you choose the file name?

Well, the isos in RELEASEDIR/MACHINE/install/cdrom/* only contains
INSTALL kernels, but not the binary sets. This is for someone
who wants to boot from CD but install with some other way (e.g. network),
or which needs different boot options (e.g. console on com0).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>