Subject: Re: sysinst with dhcp: host-name option
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Mikolaj Golub <to.my.trociny@gmail.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/27/2007 10:10:55
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:57:03 +0100 David Laight wrote:

 DL> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 11:34:37AM +0300, Mikolaj Golub wrote:
 >>
 >> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:44:19 +0000 David Laight wrote:
 >>
 >> > Someone with the odd round-tuit to spare could look at making sysinst
 >> > ask the user for network setup at the end of a non-network install.
 >> > Most of it is just plumbing existing functions into different places.
 >>
 >> Below is my attempt to resolve this. After unpacking the sets sysinst will ask
 >> if user want to install network configuration in /etc. If network has already
 >> been configured before, sysinst also asks whether user want to store this
 >> configuration.

 DL> I don't think it is necessary to ask the user 2 questions.

I thought about situations where user want to use other network settings
during regular use than when installing (or network is needed to install
only). I don't think these are impossible situations (imagine sysadmin that
use some static IP allowed to access ftp server during install, but want
network auto configuration for this machine when it is in regular use).

Saying so, I don't insist on my patch. My point is to show, that modifications
are trivial to get necessary functionality. It is more difficult to decide how
it should be made to satisfy everyone. I think, someone weighted in community
(e.g. David) just should resolve this in his preferred way and make commit :-).

--
Mikolaj Golub