Subject: Re: makefs -t cd9660 lacks
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/25/2007 19:59:14
On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 09:57:49PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> - should we try to convert other ports from etc/ iso-image to distrib/
>   iso_image ? The hard part here will be to test the resulting images for
>   boot. Some architectures (e.g. macppc) may require some code to makefs.

I am developing a plan to add features to the cd9660 target of makefs
that macppc/mac68k need.  It will make a good GSoC project.

Hubert and others have pointed out to me that makefs is missing the
"graft points" function of mkisofs.  It is probably easy to fix.  In the
meantime, a workaround is to either use symbolic links or to waste disk
space on a "staging" directory.

BTW, I do not believe Joliet extensions ("long" UTF-8 pathnames for
Windows) are necessary for any of our bootable CD-ROMs.  Am I wrong?
I ask because makefs does not have the feature, but in my mind I assign
it very low priority.

Dave