Subject: Re: sysinst::md_cleanup_install(): sed is too large for ramdisk
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/04/2006 21:19:29
On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 10:09:42PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> Normally this sounds ok, but... you're hurting cross-installability
> that way. I've always wanted to run sysinst on a fileserver to
> create the OS filesystem for a client machine. I didn't really try
> this yet - I don't know how many other places there are that won't
> work.

Quite a few...
sysinst doesn't support cross installs.

As well as running programs that don't exist in the install media,
it is necessary to use chroot in order to get symbolic links within
the target expanded correctly.  So the 'postinstall' script (on upgrades)
is always run chrooted to the installed filesystem.

Some of the programs could be avoided is sysinst didn't attempt to do
large tracts of stuff by running external commands - partially so that
it can appear to generate a script file that can be re-executed to
repeat the process!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk