Subject: Re: one stop towards install CDs
To: haad <haaaad@gmail.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/16/2006 14:33:58
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:13:23PM +0100, haad wrote:
> Better way is probably making adding new programs(or what you want) to CD more
> simple than it is now :)
>
> We can make more robust and more usable for other purposes(Rescuing system
> etc.),not only for install.
>
> for booting I thing better is CD like disk because we can create more robust
> install CD's with more tools.One example when I last time try to install 3.0 on
> LFS root I can't because new_lfs is not on CD :(

	Or you could have both:  In-kernel md with minimal programs like init
mount_*, etc..., the CD filesystem with the rest, and "boot -a" will let you
choose whether to use the CD as a recovery disc or an install disc.
Perhaps with a message on the install screen mentioning why the cd drive won't
open.

eric