Subject: Re: one stop towards install CDs
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/16/2006 11:57:51
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	The other variant on this is to use kloader(4) to directly boot a
> 	kernel from the installed system once you get that far...

Oh, is kloader real?  I somehow thought it was just a fantasy.

This gives another way round the 2.8MB floppy image problem with i386
CD boot:  Have a small kernel that has drivers for whatever hardware
and file systems are needed to talk to the CD, but no drivers for other
hardware; and let it chain to a larger GENERIC or INSTALL kernel loaded
from the CD.

--apb (Alan Barrett)