Subject: Re: etcupdate patches to use tgz files, and more
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/13/2006 19:26:31
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Alan Barrett wrote:
>  -s {srcdir|tgzfile|tempdir}                  (default: /usr/src)

I like being able to specify a .tgz file!

> * Remove the "-b" flag.  It is replaced by the "-s tempdir"
>  form of the "-s" flag.

Maybe keep it for backward compatibility, like we do for other things:
remove it from documentation and usage etc., and in 2-5 years remove the
handling of the switch.

> * In the interactive phase, enhanced the "s" command to be able to
>  invoke alternative diff commands, as follows:
>
>  s  Show the differences between the currently installed and new files
>  sd  Show the differences ... using "diff -u"
>  sw  Show the differences ... using "wdiff -n -l"
>  scommand Show the differences ... using the specified diff-like command
>
>  (wdiff is from pkgsrc, so including "sw" might be controversial.)

I don't know what wdiff is (and for pkgsrc, I'd rather not add it), but
how about:

 	ss Show differences side by side (sdiff -w 80)

  - Hubert