Subject: Re: one stop towards install CDs
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/11/2006 01:16:35
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> Well, so what ISO does that build - one with a generic kernel,
>> generic-laptop, generic-small, -tiny, ...?
>
> Yes, all of them

You can only boot 1 kernel (until we offer some selector for that...).
That's why we have different floppies so far.

> The iso-image target works fine for all ports, and can be easily modified to
> use makefs instead of mkisofs. The results need extensive testing (on various
> archs). Once that has been done, distrib cdrom can be changed in the same
> way. Any fine-tuning (i.e. what kernels to offer, details of iso content,
> removal of integrated ramdisk etc.) can be done after that without affecting
> other ports.
>
> IMHO this is the way to go.
>
>> What is the primary purpose?
> [of distrib/cdrom]
>
> Making multi-arch (bootable) CDs.

So maybe we should go back to the start, and define what we want to do.

My goal is
to have a mechanism that spits out an ISO that boots a kernel
with a ramdisk, for some of the kernels we have, i.e. saving me (and
others) from manually creating bootable ISOs.
Several of those ISOs could be made available, and install sets could then
be downloaded over the network.

I understand that having an ISO with the release sets is desirable, but
my attempts here are orthogonal to that desire.

After the last round of talks with releng, I think the definition
of what a 'release' is for NetBSD needs to be split into two parts: for
one, it's what 'build.sh' does now, by populating $RELEASEDIR. But
creating a bootable ISO from that (or maybe even multi-arch CDs) is a
second step that comes after all that.

My intention is to solve the first step here (only), and have small(!)
bootable ISOs available.

  - Hubert