Subject: Re: one stop towards install CDs
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/11/2006 01:06:11
On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 12:42:32AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> Well, so what ISO does that build - one with a generic kernel,
> generic-laptop, generic-small, -tiny, ...?

Yes, all of them (that's not different to the various kernels for example
sgimips uses already to boot on different architectures - though sgimips
could use a more intelligent primary bootstrap that autoselects the proper
one for the current arch).

> I'm not convinced this is the way to go.

I don't mind to use src/distrib/cdrom for this instead (i.e. just make
etc/ iso-image kind of an alias). I don't see how to do this easily, but
I might be missing something. This, however, is orthogonal to the discussion
at hand.

The iso-image target works fine for all ports, and can be easily modified to
use makefs instead of mkisofs. The results need extensive testing (on various
archs). Once that has been done, distrib cdrom can be changed in the same
way. Any fine-tuning (i.e. what kernels to offer, details of iso content,
removal of integrated ramdisk etc.) can be done after that without affecting
other ports.

IMHO this is the way to go.

> What is the primary purpose?
[of distrib/cdrom]