Subject: Re: Sysinst defunct on NetBSD/mac68k - still
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Nestor <rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/23/2005 19:35:32
On Nov 23, 2005, at 2:24 PM, David Laight wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 02:22:32PM +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> it seems that NetBSD/mac68k 3 will ship without a working sysinst -
>> like 2.0 and 2.1 before it (PR 29049).
>>
>> If we cannot get sysinst fixed in time -- can we at least document
>> the manual workaround along the lines of
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2005/05/19/0003.html in a
>> prominent place in the 3.0 release notes?
>
> Someone with a mac68k needs to sit down and sort out what is wrong.
> I don't have one.

Sysinst for mac68k was originally written to 1)Help the "NetBSD/Mac"
novice partition the disk for NetBSD, and 2)Update the Apple Disk
Partition Map to accommodate the user's partition selections.  At the
time only the i386 port had a mechanism in sysinst for assisting the
user in partitioning the disk.  I attempted to pattern mac68k/sysinst
after that scheme as close as possible and embedded the Apple Disk
Map handling inside that code.  Somewhere around the time of NetBSD
2.0 an effort was made to generalize the disk partitioning in sysinst
so that it would support many of the other ports.  Unfortunately
those changes changed a lot of the things that mac68k/sysinst was
depending on (the sysinst "API") and unfortunately mac68k wasn't
supported in the updated sysinst partitioning scheme - mainly because
of the special things that it had to do to handle the Apple Disk
Partition Map.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to work out the
changes at the time (the real job got extremely busy after 9/11), and
now my old 68k Mac has some fried electronics.  I'd be happy to try
and answer questions for anyone who wants to tackle the necessary
updates.

BTW, it would be nice to also support the macppc port, but there are
other problems there because of some special code that port already
has to deal with the Apple Partition Map.

-bob