Subject: Re: sysinst debugging how-to?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/26/2005 00:16:40
On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 10:40:52PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Hauke Fath wrote:
> >Can it be built and run on an "normal" system, or does it need to live
> >within its installkernel ramdisk?
>
> IIRC it can be handed a vnd device for "installation"...
> At least on i386 that worked well enough to boot from that device as qemu
> disk image after the installation.
>
> I forgot the details on how to talk sysinst into using vnd0 though - maybe
> even a simple vndconfig may be enough. Try & see!

vnd should be in the list of valid 'disk' devices, so if you create a vnd
disk you should be able to install to it.

You can build a working sysinst by running the nbmake wrapper script
in src/distrib/utils/sysinst.

It will normaly proceed past the disklabel phase to the final question
about overwriting the disk if run as a non-root member of wheel (needs
read access to the disk).  If you specify the main disk, the the option -D
will get you past the failure to remove swap (without write access to the
raw devices nothing can go wrong).

IIRC the mac68k has a lot of MD code...

	David

--