Subject: sysinst and wrong partition for re-install
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/11/2005 20:30:28
This is the latest sysinst from NetBSD-daily 20051010000Z i386
using netbsd-INSTALL.gz image from there.

(Booted using pxeboot_ia32.bin from several months ago, but I don't think
that matters.)

When I chose "Re-install sets or install additional sets"

/dev/rad0s3d was assumed

It attempted to run:

   /sbin/fsck_ffs -p -q /dev/rad0s3d

It said:

   Can't stat /dev/rad0s3d: No such file or directory

I had same problem when I chose the upgrade option from the menu.

I don't have that in /dev/ (seen via utility menu's sh).

That "ad0s3" is from FreeBSD which also on this disk.

It should have been wd0e. wd0e is my / and only NetBSD partition.

I installed NetBSD (took two times as first time didn't boot to NetBSD).

I chose the laptop kernel and when it booted it no longer saw my vr0.

So I booted again to sysinst in the hope I could install that one set for
the generic kernel.

As a workaround, I use sh (still via sysinst image), and did:

dhclient vr0
mount /dev/wd0e /mnt
cd /mnt
ftp ftp.netbsd.rg
   ... went to directory ... 200510100000Z
   get netbsd-GENERIC.gz
   quit
chroot /mnt
gunzip netbsd-GENERIC.gz
mv netbsd-GENERIC netbsd # I already backed up /netbsd to /netbsd.old
chmod a+x /netbsd # probably does not matter
reboot

It worked!

  Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/