Subject: Re: some cdboot nits
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/30/2005 07:26:20
On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:35:31AM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> I asked in a different thread if it was possible for a normal PC to
> treat a CD-ROM as just a bunch of blocks so that way we could just use
> an FFS instead of an ISO file system.

Only if you create a fs for a disk with 2k sectors, or do some emulation
to support reading 512byte sectors from media with a 2k physical sector.

> We also don't have any in-tree tools to burn a CD either.  Of course, we
> don't need those to actually make a release, just to use the results :-)

Generating a non-emulated bootable CD can be done with the existing tools
(mkisofs and cdrecord), the problem is that tools (mkisosfs) can't use an
mtree spec file to allow a non-priveliged uses to create an ISO with
all the correct permissions.
There are also problems (presumably solved by the netbsd-live CD) of having
a read-only root filesystem.

I did suggest that, at least as a temporary measure, using in in-kernel
memory root (as now) would avoid these problems.  At least in the short
term.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk