Subject: installing -current on i386 using cdr
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: R. Huvendiek <netbsd@kaervek.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/28/2005 21:39:04
Hello,

I want to install a brand new i386 with -current this or next week.
Unfortunately, the newest sources won't build before tweaking FLOPPYMAX.
This puts me in the unfortunate situation, that I end up with 2 floppy
images instead of one boot-big.fs. From what I understand I need
excactly one floppy image for the cd booting emulation :(. So basically
I cannot use the 'standard' way to build my iso image.

So my question is, what is the best solution to work around this? I read
about cdboot on the lists. But how could I use it? There's a very vague
description here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-install/2005/06/22/0013.html But I do
not really get the idea from this post how to construct the layout.

What I understood:
- Put cdboot into the cdroot and say mksiofs to use cdboot as the boot
strap (+ no emulation flag etc of course).
- Put a kernel (/netbsd) into the root and the boot (/boot) image.
Butwhere and how do I stuff the rest (netbsd running sysinst) onto the
cd? And where can I get this 'mini' netbsd? I think it will be in the
boot-bigx.fs files, but how can I pull it out there?

I really don't have a problem to beta test the cdboot stuff, but I'll
nned some little explanation how to do it.

Ralf