Subject: Re: Switching i386/amd64 to native CD-based installation?
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/27/2005 23:52:20
On 2005-06-27 junyoung@NetBSD.org wrote:

> If we switch, the biggest advantage is that we don't have to waste time to
> fiddle with disk size limit on floppy install any more because the GENERIC
> kernel will be used for installation as well. Also, the distribution media
> can be used both for installation and the full-featured live file system.

  I don't mind the switch, but it might be valuable to keep building a
single large bootable image (of whatever size) that can be dded to
miscellaneous bootable media.  I booted from PCMCIA this way on an older
laptop, and it might work from a USB flash drive on more recent systems,
which could easily be more convenient than either floppies or CD.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com