Subject: Re: Switching i386/amd64 to native CD-based installation?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: James Chacon <jmc@ksu.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/27/2005 12:30:27
Quoting der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>:

> > This shouldn't happen as a "let's drop install floppy support and
> do
> > only CDs now"-switch!
>
> I greatly fear that - as has happened with other code - as soon as CD
> is the default, the floopy support will promptly bitrot, and we will
> actually lose working floppy installs almost immediately.

So don't disable the remaining floppy builds. As long as they get built
they probably won't rot. Take them out of the default make release
path and yes, they'll rot in minutes...

Basically I see this as replacing the floppy emulation cd boot we use
today and once isofs is in-tree w. makefs being able to make install
cd's is much simpler.

James