Subject: Re: Switching i386/amd64 to native CD-based installation?
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/27/2005 12:04:10
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:49:17AM -0400, Ty Sarna wrote:
> Now, I think it would be a great thing to improve the cdrom boot process
> and stop using floppy emulation for that, but I think floppy install
> needs to stay a first class citizen for a while longer.

I have never booted a PC with a CD-ROM that did *not* use floppy
emulation.  For how long have PC BIOS's supported the new methods?
Can somebody produce "new-style" bootable CD-ROMs for NetBSD users
to test?  Until then, I do not feel certain that I can boot a quarter
of the PCs at my disposal using a "new-style" CD boot method.

Dave