Subject: Re: sysinst and sl
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/16/2005 11:25:05
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Alistair Crooks wrote:

>> Is this useful for others?
>
> Possibly - but I suspect because you're the first person who's asked
> in almost 6 years that others may not have it at such a high priority
> as yourself.

I installed a machine over slip late last year. It's the only serial
protocol available in the i386 install kernel. The alternative was
floppies. But I had to break out, download the files manually and then let
the installer install from a local directory.

>> Or should there be some option to be able to manually enter in interface
>> name if desired?
>
> That might be handy - do you know if the install kernels have slip in
> them - it may have been removed to save some space.

slip is still in the i386 install kernel at least. I would strongly
support an option to manually enter the interface name, for smartarses
like me who think they know better than sysinst. :)

(How big is ppp? Would it be sensible to include ppp on at least the
installation CD? Installing over a modem is something I can see being
useful for a single-PC installation, especially if sysinst can know how to
take the phone number, username and password of the ISP.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget