Subject: NetBSD 2.0_BETA: sendmail configured wrong (daily, security not delivered)
To: None <>
From: David Howland <>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/07/2004 12:16:31
I have a brand new NetBSD setup, 2.0_BETA.  To make sure this problem
hadn't been fixed, I just yesterday updated my sources via CVS, and
installed with the distribution; install=/

I get no emails send to root from the daily or security secripts, or
when cron fails a job.  /var/log/maillog is full of the following:
Sep  7 09:30:01 micron sendmail[1136]: i87DU1dU001136: from=root,
size=287, class=0, nrcpts=1,
Sep  7 09:30:01 micron sendmail[1136]: i87DU1dU001136: to=root,
ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
pri=30287, [], dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: Connection refused by
I see that this issue has been discussed before on the mailing list,
mostly sometime in 2003, but I cannot find a direct answer (it is mostly
ranting, arguing, and patches for dirty hacks)

Why is sendmail configured wrong on a fresh install?  How do I get this
working?  All I want is to recieve output from daily and security
scripts and nothing more.  I don't want to run sendmail or any other
MTA.  1.6.2 had no trouble with this...It worked out of the box with no
configuration needed.