Subject: Re: Not enough inodes in default i386 sysinstall?
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/22/2004 21:27:35
> I know probably not enough about inodes, but I thought I'd start
> this question here, and then move on to another list if necessary.
> I just install a new system from a 1.6.2 ISO image.  Then I went
> to download src and pkgsrc, and, well ...
>
> Filesystem 1K-blocks   Used   Avail Capacity  iused  ifree %iused  Mnt
> /dev/wd0a     401943 218414  163431    57%   101118      0 100%   /

Well you have an average of (about) 2k per file.  The default of 4k per file
usually leads to a lot of free inodes - except for file system that have
a lot of very small files.

The 'usual' culprit for 'out of inodes' is/was a news server.
However the netbsd pkgsrc tree does contain a lot of small files.
OTOH once you start building things you tend to need a lot of free
space, and the average file size will probably increase.

It is worth checking that the filesystem doesn't contain a few
thousand useless inodes, eg the result of:
$ while mkdir x; do cd x; done
or of creating empty files, mknods etc.

You can't really blame the installer.

	David