Subject: Re: install/25945: "Invalid partition table" on Dells (also #13310)
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/28/2004 00:40:56
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 09:57:34PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:03:20PM +0200, Martin S. Weber wrote:
> > >Synopsis:       after install unable to boot Dells (also #13310)
>
> Are you willing to do all the experiments in order to find out
> the actual problem?

I still am, yet time is slowly running short, the 2nd machine (the optiplex)
needs to be installed soon... I suppose you're aware that if I was able to
come up with the list of needed experiments to do them on my own I'd of
included a patch to fix the problem in the PR :) So, I'm still waiting for
the list of experiments I'm to do...

As a wild guess, this would only happen with non-netbsd partitions on the
disk, suppose some global is skewed after checking the existing partitions;
in contrast to the "none there" case which resets some globals explicitely
the "there's something non-netbsd'ish there" case just returns early. Wild
guess, as I said (around 1250 in distrib/utils/sysinst/mbr.c).

-Martin

PS: I'm off-list tech-install. Pls act accordingly :)