Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch/amiga/stand/misc
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/08/2004 11:34:18
--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:14:28PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
  | Hi,
  |=20
  | Michael Hitch added some AmigaDOS tools needed to src/sys/arch/amiga/st=
and
  | after asking me about my opinion --- there are architectures having the=
 stuff
  | in src/distrib, while i386 has them in src/sys/arch/i386/stand.
  |=20
  | A discussion started on source-changes. See e.g.:
  |=20
  | On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 12:53:11PM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
  | > matthew green wrote:
  | > >   =20
  | > >    These wouldn't. "Amigados tools which end up in installation/mis=
c".
  | > >    Clearly a RELEASEDIR only type thing so (to me) a distrib item.
  | > >=20
  | > > it seems there are about as many .uue files in sys as distrib.
  | > > IMO the binaries should exist where the sources are...
  | >=20
  | > Many of those don't really need to be there.  E.g. i386 pfdisk and
  | > rawrite don't have any connection to kernel sources. amiga tools
  | > are built from kernel sources, but the actual binary depot place
  | > is quite irrelevant - sys is no better than distrib.
  | >=20
  | > It would be nice if those misc binaries would be moved outside
  | > sys (as has been done e.g. with acorn32), to shrink the size
  | > of src/sys somewhat.
  |=20
  | I think this should be discussed on tech-install. Any new input?

My preferred approach is to migrate the building & installation of
all of the stuff that is part of the "release" to distrib/<machine>,
and use the UUDECODE_FILES <bsd.files.mk> variable for binary files.
This is content that ends up in RELEASEDIR rather than DESTDIR.

Stuff under src/sys that is part of a normal "build"
(e.g, bootblocks that are installed in /usr/mdec) can remain there.

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI--