Subject: Re: X11 updates
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/07/2004 13:17:27
On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:20:03AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 12:37:39AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/X is a symlink to the server - not a directory hierarchy.
> > So saving it is easy....
>
> Yes, but it does not buy you anything with the current XFree. This used
> to be a symlink to the "right" server, but now there is only one on most
> archs and it loads the "right" modules itself. So the whole operation is
> a waste - and we actually do not save the working X environment for the user,
> when upgrading.

mmm borked...

> And looking at the code it seems it is still doing this (upgrade.c:save_X).
>
> My question was: should we either remove save_X or replace it with something
> working? I'm all for the latter.

Seems better to do it properly, beware, you'll end up fixing /etc as well.

Just a thought, the X config stuff is now all in a separate tar file?
Maybe sysinst should have a 'if not installed' mode for some sets?
Add a marker file to the set definition and it shouldn't be too hard.

The default for install (and upgrade, and add packages [1]) shoud be
'install if absent' for these sets (or maybe 'check all the files
exist' and bleat if they don't).

	David

[1] why are there 3 paths through sysinst?

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk