Subject: Re: X11 updates
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/07/2004 10:20:03
On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 12:37:39AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X is a symlink to the server - not a directory hierarchy.
> So saving it is easy....

Yes, but it does not buy you anything with the current XFree. This used
to be a symlink to the "right" server, but now there is only one on most
archs and it loads the "right" modules itself. So the whole operation is
a waste - and we actually do not save the working X environment for the user,
when upgrading.

And looking at the code it seems it is still doing this (upgrade.c:save_X).

My question was: should we either remove save_X or replace it with something
working? I'm all for the latter.

Martin