Subject: Re: go to previous menu, delete disklabel partition, custom sets
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/05/2004 15:33:26
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, David Laight wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 02:34:08PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Just some notes on a recent 1.6.2_RC3 sysinstall ...
>
> I presue you mean 'sysinst'

Sorry. Just got back from teaching "FreeBSD" that week.

> > I messed up doing the fdisk and disklabel a few times, so I just pressed
> > CTRL-C each time and retyped "sysinstall".
> >
> > Maybe trap CTRL-C  or some other method so shell will say "Run sysinstall
> > for the installer menu."
>
> OTOH having ^C escape completely is actually quite useful.

Understood. I didn't want to get rid of that functionality. Just a note to
the novice user about how to restart.

> > It would be good if there was a method to say go back to the previous
> > menu, so if disklabel editing was wrong, I could go back to fdisk.
>
> A general 'previous menu' option wouldn't work - it isn't structured
> that way.  Also some menus actually stay active for a long time, so
> you would eat stack if you processed one again.

Okay.

> Also the 'current', you'l get them wrond less often...

I will have to look.

> > Also the disklabel editing is easy, but it doesn't clearly show a way to
> > "delete" a partition. I set partition as "unused" and it was fine.
>
> Completely different....

Then maybe there should be a method to "delete" or it should be explained.

> > The chooser for selecting custom sets, had some X server sets enabled, but
> > X clients disabled and man pages disabled. It seems man pages would be
> > enabled by default. And if X clients are disabled then X server sets
> > should be disabled.
>
> Erm, IIRC, it is completely valid to have X server but not client (and v.v.)

Yes, I agree. But my point was that it included an X server by default,
but didn't even include default (non-X) man pages.

> > Also the sysinstall fdisk doesn't seem to have a way to set up extended
> > DOS-style partitions (more than four). But that is okay, because I can use
> > another.
>
> Use 'current', you can install NetBSD into an extended partition if you
> want/need to.

Cool!

That would be great if regular fdisk for netbsd-1-6 handled extended
partitions too. (Maybe I'll ask on another list.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/