Subject: failed sysinst experience report
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Darrin B. Jewell <dbj@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/20/2004 22:59:42
Although I usually install my system by hand, I had recent occasion
to attempt a sysinst install and have a few issues to report.

1. When I tell it to get the sets from an "unmounted fs", I am given a
   screen where I have to input the device, filesystem type and
   directory without any hits as to what the available options are.
   If I make an error on this screen I get the error:
   "/mnt2/release.i386" does not contain the manditory installation
   sets etc.tgz and base.tgz.  Are you sure you've got the right
   directory?"  and the options "Try again" "Give up"
   "Ignore, continue anyway".  Unfortunately, none of the options
   allow me to reenter the path or other distribution location
   options.

2. If I have correct a disklabel already on the disk from
   a previously aborted installation, it will try to reinstall
   a disklabel with a swap partition off the end of the disk.

   My starting disklabel looks like this:
    # /dev/rwd0d:
    type: unknown
    disk: testme
    label:
    flags:
    bytes/sector: 512
    sectors/track: 63
    tracks/cylinder: 16
    sectors/cylinder: 1008
    cylinders: 4063
    total sectors: 4095504
    rpm: 3600
    interleave: 1
    trackskew: 0
    cylinderskew: 0
    headswitch: 0           # microseconds
    track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
    drivedata: 0
    spare: 0

    16 partitions:
    #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
     a:   3831408        63     4.2BSD   1024  8192     0  # (Cyl.      0*-   3801*)
     b:    264033   3831471     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.   3801*-   4062)
     c:   4095441        63     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0*-   4062)
     d:   4095504         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -   4062)

  And I then select:
   "a: Install NetBSD to hard disk"
   "b: Yes" (to "Shall we continue?")
   "a: wd0"
   "a: Full installation"
   "a: This is the correct geometry"
   "b: Use the entire disk"
   "a: Yes" (to update the NetBSD bootcode)
   "b: Use existing partition sizes"

   "g: Change input units (sectors/cylinders/MB)"  ; problem still occurs if
   "c" Sectors"                                    : I skip these two steps

    I am now shown a partition table that looks like this:
    "We now have your BSD-disklabel partitions as:
     This is your last chance to change them.

        Start sec   End sec  Size sec FS type    Newfs Mount Mount point
        --------- --------- --------- ---------- ----- ----- -----------
     a:        63   3831470   3831408 FFSv1            Yes   /
     b:   3831471   4096448    264978 unused
     c:        63   4095503   4095441 NetBSD partition
     d:         0   4095503   4095504 Whole disk
     e:         0         0         0 unused
     f: Show all unused partitions
     g: Change input units (sectors/cylinders/MB)
     x: Partition sizes ok"
    Notice that the "End sec" value for b is off the end of the disk

   "x: Partition sizes ok"
   "" (pressing return to select the default "testme" for my disk name)
   "b: Yes" (to "Shall we continue?")

   I then get an error:
     "Command: disklabel -w -r -f /tmp/disktab wd0 'testme'"
     "Hit enter to continue"
     "disklabel: partition b: partition extends past end of unit"

3. I selected "complete installation" but it couldn't find the
   x11 sets which weren't in the release I tried to install.
   After asking me about each missing set, it gave me a screen
   containing statistics on the number of missing sets, and then
   informed me "The installation is aborted.  Please recheck
   your distribution source and consider reinstalling sets from
   the main menu."  My only choice was "Hit enter to continue"
   After that it proceeded with "Making device nodes ..." and
   several other screens, but I don't know what, if anything,
   was skipped by the aborted install.

4. When selecting a timezone, i've given no hint that an
   entry ending in / will give me a second menu to select the
   option I really want.

Fortunately, this install is on virtualpc so I can repeat it
easily if more information is needed for debugging any of the
above issues.

The release which encountered these problems was built from
a private tree last synced with the cvs.netbsd.org sources
on 20031211T1600Z.  Any local changes in the tree should
not be expected to affect the problems.  I can retest
with a stock -current tree if necessary.

Thank you,
Darrin