Subject: Re: What is 'scripting' in sysinst for?
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.org>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/04/2003 00:05:53
Johan Danielsson writes:
> David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure this is a useful feature, I can't imagine when you
> > would ever run the script!
>
> I suppose it's for stuff like cloning an installation on many
> identical machines. This is less of a problem on NetBSD, because of
> the lack of magic going on during installation time, but it's most
> useful on other systems.

One of the things NetBSD sorely needs is a hands-off network
installation, such as Custom Jumpstart for Solaris.  A sysinst
script could be a first step (although many other steps are needed,
such as system packages and many many fixes to the packaging system
in general).

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab@bb-c.de