Subject: Comments about current sysinst (with 1.6ZA)
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/13/2003 23:51:33
Hi all,

I have tried to install today's current from scratch and I couldn't get it.
The problem comes when it starts formatting partitions, and it fails with
wd0a:

wtfs: write error for sector 128: invalid argument

I have got it installed by hand from the shell without problems, though, so
it seems to be a problem in sysinst and not the utilities in the boot floppy.
I'll file a PR if there is no reply...

Then, I have two suggestions for the disklabel editor:

/var should appear before /usr, imho.  Why?  Because the beginning of the disk
is faster than the end, and /var should get more io than /usr.
Though maybe reason is stupid ;)  Anyway there should be a way to change the
order of partitions easily; I found that in the confirmation menu you can
change mount points, but that's too late to change sizes.  BTW, there is no way
to go back at that point.

And, when you want to assign all the remaining space to a partition, the way
to do it is confusing.  At last, I guessed that '1+' could do the job, but
there is no information about it.  Writting a simple '+' character should be
enough, and there should be a note about this.

Comments?

Cheers.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>