Subject: Re: Swedish translation of Sysinst
To: Tor Stormwall <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/08/2003 11:36:21
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Tor Stormwall wrote:

> I'm wondering if someone is working on a Swedish translation of
> Sysinst, if not I'm willing to translate it to Swedish. Though, before I
> start I'd like to know how to be able to achive this. Is the process of
> translating Sysinst hard, does it involve some programming, etc, ? What
> is the best way?

I haven't translated sysinstall to any other language, but I have spent
some time with it (when I was making my own fast sysinstall).

You don't need to do programming.

Fetch the NetBSD source code (as documented at the website).

The sysinstall source code will be located at

Notice in that directory are some menus.mi.* and msg.mi.* files. Then in
the arch/*/ subdirectories there are some more* and*
files. (Some of the arch directories are missing non-English.)

Copy each of those files from English (or your other preferred language)
to create new files, like:
(or your preferred arch for testing)

Then manually edit each one. You can notice the parts that need to be

To build, set SYSINSTLANG=se in your environment. (If not defined it
becomes "en" in /usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/

By the way, I read on netbsd-docs, that some people want to help with
Swedish documentation. You may want to discuss with them too.

Good luck,

   Jeremy C. Reed