Subject: Re: Swedish translation of Sysinst
To: Tor Stormwall <tor@stormwall.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/08/2003 11:36:21
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Tor Stormwall wrote:

> I'm wondering if someone is working on a Swedish translation of
> Sysinst, if not I'm willing to translate it to Swedish. Though, before I
> start I'd like to know how to be able to achive this. Is the process of
> translating Sysinst hard, does it involve some programming, etc, ? What
> is the best way?

I haven't translated sysinstall to any other language, but I have spent
some time with it (when I was making my own fast sysinstall).

You don't need to do programming.

Fetch the NetBSD source code (as documented at the website).

The sysinstall source code will be located at
/usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/

Notice in that directory are some menus.mi.* and msg.mi.* files. Then in
the arch/*/ subdirectories there are some more menus.md.* and msg.md.*
files. (Some of the arch directories are missing non-English.)

Copy each of those files from English (or your other preferred language)
to create new files, like:
/usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/arch/i386/msg.md.se
/usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/arch/i386/menus.md.se
(or your preferred arch for testing)
/usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/menus.mi.se
/usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/msg.mi.se

Then manually edit each one. You can notice the parts that need to be
translated.

To build, set SYSINSTLANG=se in your environment. (If not defined it
becomes "en" in /usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/Makefile.inc.)

By the way, I read on netbsd-docs, that some people want to help with
Swedish documentation. You may want to discuss with them too.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-docs/2003/07/08/0001.html

Good luck,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/