Subject: Re: should not ask for filesets first
To: NetBSD install list <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/04/2003 06:30:41
David Laight wrote:
> Then you get a chiken/egg situation, you can't size the filesystems
> until you know which sets to install.  ....

The size should not be related to the sets.  That requires prescience
and omniscience.

> The expectation is that all the known sets are available on the install
> media/location.

That is a terrible assumption, unsupported by historic installation.
(And by that, I mean all the way back to 386BSD 0.1)

For example, I routinely install by grabbing bsd, base, etc, and comp,
on my laptop, going to the site (or home), installing from FTP to my
laptop, and then once all the network et alia is in place and working,
adding the rest (along with packages).

Historically, we used to use MSDOS to get a few of the sets (slowly,
over serial lines), and then install from MSDOS partitions on the
same disk.

BTW, installing from MSDOS partitions currently doesn't work, as the
disklabel is discarded/reinitialized at the wrong times.  I reported
the problem to this list 9 months ago, and there was already a
related PR.

I'll start a new subject with what I'd *LIKE* to see for menus....

--
William Allen Simpson