Subject: Re: should not ask for filesets first
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/03/2003 15:32:24
On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 08:18:01AM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Last night, I was talking a tech thru an install, trying to re-install
> current as of June 27 (the last successful daily), and the prompts he
> was describing didn't match my memory at all.
>
> Apparently, it now asks for the files sets first?

Yes - because the default sizes for the partitions ought to depend
on which sets are requested.

> That makes no sense!

It has always asked for teh sets before asking where you were going to
install from.
Maybe it would make sense to locate the sets right at the start.

> (And doesn't come close to matching INSTALL.txt.)

The documentation will be way out of date!
and getting further away :-)

> The filesets shouldn't be asked until after the CD/FTP/etc method
> is chosen, and it is determined that there ARE file sets to select....

The presence of the sets has never been used to check whether they
are available.

> Where in the code should I look for these changes?

Somewhere under my rototiller, but mind your fingers.

> BTW, the install actually hung in the disklabel code.

At what point? and any idea why?

> We gave up trying to install over the phone. :-(
Always fun - especially if you can't run exactly the same commands
locally at the same time.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk