Subject: Re: install/21999: localhost.domain not correctly set in /etc/hosts file
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/26/2003 20:58:45
itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

>         localhost.domain has to be configured by zone manager's (DNS admin)
>         judging.  normal practice is that they do provide:
>
> localhost.              IN A    127.0.0.1
> localhost.mydomain      IN A    127.0.0.1

Maybe, maybe not!  Is it something that system security should depend
upon?  I argue not....

My livingroom test NetBSD machine is configured as test.example.net.
That follows RFC recommendations.  There's no example.net admin to
setup localhost.example.net, but apparently the new nsswitch code
tries that first, so it fails.

>         i don't see a need for scripting_printf() for localhost,
>         i'd rather remove it.

It's a easy fix, it never hurts anything, and not having it hurts
(or requires additional documentation in afterboot to ensure that
everyone tests for it to be properly configured at the upstream, and
adds it by hand).

--
William Allen Simpson